Welcome to the 2018 Global BIGGIES Awards competition, which aims to reward media companies’ best practices in Big Data and Artificial Intelligence products and strategies around the world.
NEW YORK — The Big Data & AI for Media Association is pleased to announce the winners of the Global BIGGIES Awards Competition for 2018.
The BIGGIES Awards draw participation from the most innovative media companies implementing data and artificial intelligence initiatives, and is a part of the BIG Data & AI for Media Week events, in their seventh year.
The awards competition drew participation from the most innovative media companies implementing data and artificial intelligence initiatives, and has produced 39 winners from 14 countries and 21 companies.
The Awards were bestowed Thursday evening, March 22, at Columbia University’s Pulitzer Hall, in the World Room, where the Pulitzer Prizes are awarded each year.
The BIGGIES Awards aim to reward best practices in Big Data and artificial intelligence products and strategies to media companies from around the world.
The contest ran during 2017, and includes entries that were published during 2017.
The 21 companies vying for first place, second place, outstanding achievement, and Best of Show are:
Dainik Bhaskar, Fairfax Australia, South China Morning Post, The News Lens, United Daily News Group, Chartbeat, American Press Institute, Dow Jones, Grupa Onet-RAS, United Robots, Toutiao, SendtoNews, The Washington Post, Wibbitz, Ringier, Styria Media, LaPresse, Twipe Mobile, RSG Media, Mather Economics, and the BBC.
Entries were judged in 12 categories, including Best in Show.
The BIGGIES Awards categories are:
- Excellence in Data Analytics
- Excellence in Data Strategy
- Excellence in Data-Driven Advertising
- Excellence in Data-Driven Business Process Efficiency
- Excellence in Data-Driven Product Development
- Excellence in the Use of Bots
- Excellence in Data-Driven Technology
- Creativity in a Data-Driven Project
- Excellence in the Use of Artificial Intelligence
- Excellence in the Use of Natural Language Processing
- Excellence in the Use of Predictive Analytics
- BIGGIES Best of Show!
for Creativity in a Data-Driven Project
The three winners for the Excellence for Creativity in a Data-Driven Project category are:
- First Place: NHS Tracker, BBC News, United Kingdom
- Second Place: ETL without a data engineer, South China Morning Post, Hong Kong
- Award of Excellence: Mather Advertising Rate Calculator Dashboard, Mather Economics, United States
The judges said of the BBC’s winning entry:
“This is a very creative and meaningful use of data extraction and visualization to provide readers with important information on UK hospitals inside of the NHS and is an important tool for journalists in reporting”
Excellence in data-driven technology
The winners in the Excellence in data-driven technology category are:
- First Place: WisdomNxt, DB Corp Ltd (Digital Division), India
- Second Place: Listener Intelligent Paywall, Mather Economics, United States
- Award of Excellence: Implementation of GCS to increase reliance on data across the organization, South China Morning Post, Hong Kong
The judges said of Wisdomnxt:
“This is a good example of a media company harnessing data to increase audience engagement with clear results.”
For more on winners click here.
For Big Data and AI for Media website click here.