The Client wanted to validate the risk vs. reward of implementing a registration wall.
- The magazine group tested a registration wall on one of its brands to measure the impact to key performance metrics
- The test set the registration wall aggressively on the first article in the user journey
- KPIs include: Regwall stop rate, regwall registration rate, regwall paid conversion rate, % known users, % returning/
repeat visitors, user conversion ratio
- Test results were extrapolated to other brands within the magazine group to estimate the overall impact of the regwall
- LTV impact ranged from -1.7% to +59% from the regwall
- Key drivers to estimate ROI are the tradeoff in advertising revenue from lost anonymous users vs. expected conversion of registered users to paying subscribers
The registration wall is estimated to generate incremental lifetime value of 30% over a five-year period.