A U.S publisher wanted to reduce churn from digital subscriptions by leveraging Mather Economics’ predictive modeling and email targeting capability.
- Mather consultants worked with the client to install Listener and integrate with the publisher’s tech stack.
- A 4-month A/B test (50/50) was implemented targeting users with decelerating engagement.
- A personalized email campaign was designed for the test audience based on each user’s content preference.
- The control group did not receive an email.
- Churn improved by 17% for the test group (churn rate of 1.73% in the control vs. 1.44% compared to the target group).
- Engagement increased by 8% for the test group (reengagement rate of 12.7% in the control vs. 13.8% compared to the target group).
- Our hypothesis that digital disengagement is correlated with churn was confirmed.
- Personalized email campaigns are an effective and low-cost method to reduce churn.